How to reduce blood sugar:
A high level of blood sugar of more than the normal range of (79.2 to 110 mg/dl) points to an impaired metabolism in the body. Diabetes is one of the major reasons that lead to high blood sugar but it is not the only one. Other reasons may be acute infection, trauma and physical or psychological stress. When the blood sugar shows high in multiple tests without any of the above reasons, then it is a definite pointer to Diabetes.
Diabetes is caused by the malfunctioning of the hormone insulin produced by the endocrine gland, Pancreas. Diabetes is categorized into three types:
• Type I Diabetes: In type I, no insulin is produced. This condition may be congenital. Those with the condition have to insulin externally. Insulin may be injected into the body or pumped at intervals by a pump.
• Type II Diabetes: The insulin production is impaired in Type II diabetes. This condition can be managed with inculcating a habit of right diet and exercise.
• Gestational Diabetes: Found in pregnant mothers, Gestational Diabetes is a condition which subsists for a temporary phase. However, women who have had it during pregnancy are more likely to have Type II diabetes later.
Glucose levels are at the lowest in the mornings when the body is in a fasting phase. The glucose levels increase after taking food. A heightened increase in blood sugar is cause for concern as it indicates that the Pancreas is not releasing enough insulin to break down the glucose. Glucose, a form of sugar can cause trouble for various organs if left unchecked. Commonly, the eyes (Diabetic Retinopathy), kidneys (Nephropathy and Kidney Failure), nerves (Diabetic Neuropathy) and heart (Ischemic heart disease) are affected by high blood sugar. Infertility is also reported to be high in people with blood sugar.
Check out these related articles, too:
Blood sugar Management: Diet
High Blood Sugar is a condition which can only be managed and not cured. A healthy diet and lots of exercise are the two best ways to control blood sugar. Also, make it a point to eat regularly. Skipping meals is a bad idea especially if you are taking medications to lessen the blood sugar levels. The effect of heightened blood sugar is that you tend to be more thirsty and hungry. So, divide your food and eat more frequently in smaller quantities. But what you eat and drink is very important from the dietary point of view.
Few tips are given below:
• Carbohydrate: A diet of complex carbohydrates is advised as these are broken down only over a longer period and the release of glucose is blood is thereby lessened. Whole grain breads and cereals are recommended. Refined carbohydrates like sugar create a spurt in blood sugar levels as glucose in these gets released into the blood stream early.
• Fibre: Increase the content of fibre in your diet. Foods like green leafy vegetables and fruits have fibre.
• Fat: Decrease the intake of fat especially saturated fat. Switch to foods that are low in fat – replace ghee(rarefied butter), pasteurized butter and coconut oil with low-fat spreads and vegetable oil. Try using more of skimmed milk and low-fat curds.
• Fried items: Deep fried items Samosas, Papads, Chips etc should be lessened. Switch to healthier cooking with less oil and fat like grills and bakes.
• Fish/fowl and meat: Fish is a better option as it has less fat. In meat, lean meat is advised to control sugar level. Processed and fatty meat is a strict no-no. This includes sausages and burgers.
• Drinks: Aerated soft drinks should be avoided as these contain high levels of sugar. Alcoholic beverages should be curtailed. Hot beverages like tea, coffee or cocoa may be taken without adding sugar. Fruit juices may be taken without adding sugar.
• Nuts: As a snack, nuts are the best option. If it is unsalted, the better. They are better as nuts have fibre and load you up on omega-3 fatty acids.
Blood sugar Management: Home Remedies
Try couple of home remedies like:
1. Soak Fenugreek seeds overnight in water and chew the seeds and drink the water on empty stomach in the morning.
2. Make a paste of Neem and turmeric and eat 1 teaspoon twice daily.
3. Crush and make a paste of Tulsi (Holy Basil) leaves and have it in the mornings.
4. Include legumes and sprouts in diet as it longer to digest.
5. Have a cup of Bitter Gourd juice and 1 tablespoon of Amla (gooseberry) juice daily. Bitter gourd may be taken as part of daily diet too.
6. Make Cinnamon tea and drink in the mornings. Cinnamon may also be added to the normal tea.
7. Drink a concoction of 1- to 1- ½ tea spoon of Jamun (Syzygium cumini) powder mixed with water every morning on an empty stomach. This can reduce sugar up to 30%.
Blood sugar Management: Lifestyle
Diabetes is considered as a lifestyle disease. Though hereditary to a large extent, it is mostly acquired. Sedentary lifestyle, obesity or overweight and stress are major factors that lead to high blood sugar levels. Better stress management and more exercise to burnout unwanted fat are some ways to control this condition. Stress management can be done in several ways. Here are a couple of ways through which you can achieve it.
• Yoga: The age-old science of Yoga may be practised for better concentration and relaxation. These breathing exercises and postures help one get control over mind and body and face stressful situations at work and home with ease.
• Realistic goals: Most stress generate for the simple reason that we set unrealistic goals and burn ourselves out to achieve it. Take time to live and enjoy too.
• Workouts: Burn down that excess fat or just get into better flexibility and confidence with a better looking body. Aerobic activity makes the insulin work better. Workouts also vent out stress as sweat.
• Walk or jog: The early morning air refreshes like no other. A walk or jog for 30 minutes daily perks you up for the day and increases your productivity and confidence through the day.
• Sleep: Sleep well. It is important for the machine I.e, our body to work well. Lack of sleep or excess sleep is both harmful in several ways. An adult require at least 6-8 hours of sleep each day.
So, adopt any of these tips and get into the fighting mode to be fit once again. Live a complete life.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/8774480